Monday, August 18, 2008

Addie's Room


One of the wonderful surprises of the new house was the room designed especially for Addie. The lotus flower on the wall is especially symbolic and even though Extreme Makeover and the designer Eduardo received credit for designing the rooms, Addie's flower was painted by our special friend Jen Wood from Machias.

In China, there are many paintings and stories of the lotus flower, often describing how they come out of the dirty mud under the water and yet retain their pureness, freshness and beauty. Chinese poets also use lotus flowers to inspire people to continue striving through difficulties and to show their best part to the outside world, no matter how bad the circumstances may be. This is understood as being just like the lotus flower, bringing beauty and light from the murky darkness at the bottom of the pond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Addie's family. I made my way to your site through your post on RQ site. I don't have daycare advice, but I wanted to say HELLO as my Kiana is from Fengcheng. She was born 03/30/07. Perhaps our girls have met in passing :) We wish you a speedy TA and happy and safe travels! - Amy & Kiana from NYC

Kelly said...

Hello, I stumbled on your site through RQ also. I love the nursery. It is GORGEOUS. Our daughter is 2.5 and we are considering our second adoption. I am anxious to follow your journey.
Kelly
http://emmalis.blogspot.com