Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Guaranteed By Thanksgiving


This week my wise Uncle Lawrence's words had reason to be ringing in my ears. You see, when we brought Little Addie Ting Ting home just two months ago, and she could just barely sit up, and she could really not hold much weight on her legs, it was Uncle Lawrence who kept remarking how she really was quite strong, while the rest of us shook our heads at how weak she seemed. When we commented how sad it was that she was delayed and didn't know how to communicate or give good loves, Uncle Lawrence claimed she was one of the smartest babies he had met. I just rolled my eyes and said, "Sure she is." One day after we had been home just a week, he said, "I guarantee she'll be walking by Thanksgiving!" Considering that head control and sitting were just emerging, I replied "Yeah right." Well, Addie Mei Ting decided to prove me wrong and her Uncle Lawrence right. Just a few nights ago she was playing with some of Jo-Jo's handcuffs, and I remarked how they were dangerous toys, and I would be taking them away. Just as I said this, she stood up in the middle of the floor and took several wobbly steps. From then on those wobbly few steps have turned into more and more steps, though she is very cautious and still trying to figure out the balance thing. She has a wonderful bruise on her nose from her first major fall, and her physical therapist said I could keep trying to promote crawling, but it looked like Addie was going to do things her way.

Here is a short video Ron made to document how thankful we are to have Addie in our lives and home at last with her brothers and sister where she belongs.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, what a great video. I love to read the blog. It is so amazing how the determination of a child and the encouragement and love of the family can help a child achieve so much in their developmental milestones. You go girl. Keep up the good work.
Kelly

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh, man. You should have posted a warning about tissues on hand. I could NOT stop crying - what changes and what light in her eyes. How exciting for you all. I was just sharing your story with friends the other day and then this - woooo hoooo!

Aren't we so blessed to be part of the joy of life that these little ones get to discover?!

Hugs to you all.

ChellisFamily said...

I LOVE the video!! What a cutie she is and look how far she has come!!!
I had tears in my eyes. Our Fengcheng girls are so very sweet. I wonder, would they have know each other in China?
When you are in Bangor again, you best give me a call and stop by with that adorable baby!!! Enjoy her!!!!

BigOrangeDog said...

Just found your blog via RQ, and have loved reading your wonderful story! Addie is beautiful, and making such great strides (literally!). I love her name too. But I have to know where you are getting her adorable little dresses and orange hat?? Orange is my favorite color, and I've been looking all over for an orange hat/mittens for our DD-to-be. We're adopting an almost-4 year old girl.
Jen

Paula Ray said...

I want everyone to know she says Na-Na ! She says it with the same intonation we wanted her brothers and sister to say it with too. What a girl! We love Ron's video and Britt's blog. Even though we are there it's good to read.

Sarah said...

Love the video! So sweet! It's amazing how quickly kids can catch up!
Blessings,
Sarah