Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Girl We've Been Waiting For





We got our girl, and she is a sweet one!! As Bayley and I stepped off the elevator with our facilitator, I noticed a baby in the same dress we saw in the photos a few months ago - the same dress we sent her in a care package. Within moments of walking into a room filled with other families and tons of crying babies, Ting was placed in my arms. She pulled away but did not cry. She seemed scared and avoided looking at my face. But when Bayley stepped down and spoke to her, she made great eye contact and did not take her eyes off Bayley. We brought her back to the hotel, where I filled out tons of paperwork and little Addie Ting had her feet inked to get footprints for the documents. She refused and is still refusing to drink the formula or water or juice we offer her in a bottle. But she eats like crazy. She loves the Gerber biter biscuits-probably because she is teething. She has some monster teeth just breaking through the gums. She also loves the Gerber Puffs. We were instructed to give her a nap so she would be well rested for the afternoon appointments at the Civil Affairs Office, the Notary, and the police station. She would not sleep and just wanted to play with us. She loves the game of Drop It. Bayley and I comply and pick things up each time she throws them down. When I keep offering her the bottle she kicks at it. If I put it on the bed within her reach she kicks at it until it is away from her. She really liked her stroller and fell asleep shortly after the first interview began. We passed inspection and she is our daughter. Yes Ron, Tommy, and Jo-Jo we are at last a family of 6!!! You're going to love her, -that is if she ever takes her eyes off Bayley long enough to see you. She likes to mimic noises that Bayley makes and if Bayley pounds the bed, she does the same.

As far as her health goes- she responds very well when we call her name Ting Ting. She is much smaller than we expected. She was reported to weigh 26 pounds in May, but now she just weighs 22. There is nothing chunky about her. She does have low muscle tone, and they stressed how much improvement she had made with physical therapy. She sits very well, and stands when placed beside the bed. She still has a ways to go before walking. We worried she would be all grown up at 17 months, but she still seems so much like a baby, everyone will get their share of rocking and snuggling and feeding. Well I am going to go play with her and try to convince her that I am her mother, not Bayley.

Love to you all. We can't wait for you to meet Ms. Adeline Mei Ting Ray -Smith.

19 comments:

Paula Ray said...

"Oh my" says nana! Thankfully this part is over. She sounds absolutely wonderful. It is no surprise that she is extra interested in Bayley. Big sister went to China to help play that role to it's fullest. Mamas just do what mamas do....oversee the whole brod. Right Tommy! So glad you got her!Enjoy playing baby games today! Love ,Mom

Ron Smith said...

How amazing! I cannot believe we finally have Ting.

She seems so sweet - I cannot wait to meet her.

Take care!

Ron & the boys

Paula Ray said...

Nana is back again. Tommy has told me a dozen times how to spell brood.My first post was hasty and contained a spellling error. It is probably because I'm excited about a new grandaughter!She's a cutie.Have a fun day. I bet she'll get thirsty for the bottle a little later.

Alicia said...

I was doing OK until I read that line that said we are now a family of 6...then the tears started coming! She is absolutely beautiful! The 26th will not come soon enough now! I am excited to see the progress she will start to make with you and Bayley, even before you leave China! We love and miss all THREE of you!!
-Alicia-

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'm so relieved. Even thru all our excitement today, I was thinking and praying for you guys. She's beautiful and I'm so glad she's bonding with Bayley. Aidan is quite a Daddy's girl already, but wouldn't leave me in the lobby today when she was beckoned by the crowd of old ladies from Chile :)

Can't wait to see you all next week and meet Addie. You are family now, girlfriend :)

Hugs and love!

Ron Smith said...

(from Tommy & Jo-Jo)

Dear Addie,

First we are going to get you a cat,then walking through the woods is a great idea, and can we have a camp out?

Love, Jo-Jo

Hi Addie!!! I am so proud because in all of the pictures you are not crying like most babies do. I hope you like Mom. Please give Bayley some crazy gifts, like a rock off the ground or something. I love you!!

Tommy

NSJ said...

I can't believe you finally have her!! She's just beautiful. No surprise that she is mesmerized by Bay.....pretty typical of Bayley to be able to bond quickly with kids. I'm so excited that she has the opportunity to spend this incredible time with her new sister and equally proud of her.

Addie doesn't appear as big as we thought from the other pictures....she looks tall though. We just can't wait to meet her!

Have lots of fun, be careful, and give a ton of kisses!

Love you!
Nicki, Todd, Brynn, & Myah

PS - We are practicing our Chinese phrases!

EAH said...

Brittany and Bayley, Ron, Jo-Jo, & Tommy--

Yipee! Congratulations to all. David and I are so excited for you. Addie Ting is absolutely darling. Isn't that wonderful--it must be a Chinese thing--Abigail is very fond of the Drop It game also! Can't wait until the two of them meet and can play together.

Echo sounds like a wonderful facilitator--what a help she must be. I'm sure nobody reading your blog is surprised by the terrific job Bayley is doing as traveling companion and big sister--what a great kid!
It sounds like all is going realatively smoothly--again, we are so excited for you--can't wait to hear about Guangzho and the rest of your trip. By the way--your blog entries are beautifully written--when do you have the time? Oh yes, I forgot, you don't sleep! Can't wait to see you at home.
E, D, & A

Dawn said...

She is beautiful. I'm sure that by the time you leave China she will be clinging to the both of you. I'm sure she will also be excited when she sees her daddy, her brothers, extended family and all the family pets. I'm sure she will fit in just fine down on the Wyman Road.

Can't wait to see her.

Love Dawn

Auntie Bec said...

Oh! little Addie she is so cute. This must be so wonderful to meet her finally. She is your Addie! Who would'nt love looking at sweet Bay.Bayley you have a sister. Tommy,Ronnie, and Jo-Jo must be so excited to see the pictures of all you guys! Can't wait to see her in more pictures with you and get to see and hold her myselfluv Auntie Bec

Unknown said...

She is sooo cute!! I can't wait to meet her. Hope you have been able to get some smiles from her. Bayley is so great; what a big help she must be for you. Reading the posts from the boys makes me cry as much as reading your blogs!! Love & miss you all.

Mary

wordsmith said...

Congratulations to all of you. Ron just sent me the link, so I was able to catch up on your exciting trip and transformative experience. We can't wait to meet Addie Ting. My own Dad was born in China, so I feel a real connection to sisters in China. Please let us know what we can do to help you upon your return.

Love from Hattie, Beckett and Ann Slayton

Dawn Fickett said...

Brittany,
I am so excited for you. Addie is so precious. It sounds like Bayley is taking the role of "big sister" very seriously. She will be such a great help to you. I am enjoying touching base with Ron each day about your trip. Even he is glowing! Can't wait to meet the new addition to the family. God bless!
Love, Dawn F.

Carol said...

Drop it...ha ha that must be the game...Emily loved that too......

Congratulations!

The Ashbys said...

She is beautiful and we can't wait to meet her.

Mrs. Ray said...

She is so cute! We can't wait to meet our new niece!

Love,

Jeremy and Suzanne

Auntie Janie said...

Finally, the wait is over she is in your arms.Oh,she is beautiful.Addie is a lucky little girl to becoming a part of this family.We have lots of love to go around. Nannie has loved getting the print-outs of this blog. She was so excited today.I can't wait till you all get home.Take care, Hugs & kisses.

Linny said...

She's so beautiful! Glad you finally have her. Can't wait to see her when you get home!
Love, Lori

Sarah said...

She is so sweet. Congratulations!
Sarah