Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sightseeing In Beijing



Well sightseeing in Beijing was wonderful. Pictures and talking cannot truly do justice to the sights we enjoyed today. We visited the Summer Palace and Forbidden City which were residences of the Chinese Emperors and the royal families. We also enjoyed a pearl market showing us about the harvesting of freshwater pearls and then a silk market where we observed the process of silkworms being removed from cocoons and then silk threads being processed. Tommy -you would absolutely love it. For dinner this evening we went to a special restaurant and were served Peking duck. Bayley couldn't eat it, because she just knew the duck was a relative of our own ducks. I found the duck to be quite tasty. One thing that has been a bit strange is the fact that I just expected there would be many Caucasian tourists. I was wrong. We, along with a very nice couple using Living Hope too, are pretty much the only white poeple I have seen. We assume this may be part of the reason for so many many stares. Bayley truly is a spectacle. People stare at her blonde hair, then they nudge someone else to look at her, and then they turn around again to look at her. She's sort of clueless so doesn't notice or mind, but I find it sort of bizarre. The weather is warm here- about 82 F, but there is tremendous pollution so it remains very hazy. The city itself is extremely clean, and currently is hosting the Paralympic Games for individuals with disabilities. There are teams from all over the globe. Seeing all the new sights keeps our minds busy, but really we are so impatient for Tuesday when we get to meet the real reason we came to China -ADDIE!!!

Lots of kisses and hugs are sent to Tommy and Jo-Jo and Daddy from us. We really miss you guys!!!

8 comments:

Paula Ray said...

Bayley looks lovely. Please enjoy the warm weather in China. We are so thrilled that you are getting to see many new and exciting sites. Next week you will be using your energy in a different way.Helping Addie to adjust to having family will be the task. It is great that you are learning about her country to tell her about as she gets older.Love to you both,Mom and Dad

Auntie Janie said...

Bayley you will have a lot to tell when you come back. I see a project coming out of this. Take a good look at all the art for me. I'm teaching about CHINESE/JAPANESE art right now. I love the outfit!! Enjoy this time of learning about your sisters heritage. Love Ya, Auntie

Kassidy said...

oh my gosh! bayley looks so pretty in the geisha (or however you spell it) outfit! im seriously stoked to see addie now. i was really worried about you when you were on the plane, though. i mean, who wouldn't be? going into a foreign country like china! anyway, i hope china is what you expected it to be and much more! hows your hotel? is it pretty? anyway, you should really email me if you get the chance, i would love that alot!

kassidynjordan@yahoo.com

Ron Smith said...

Mommy & Sis,

(Tommy says...)

We are having quite a good time even though we miss you. Jo-Jo has been happier than we expected - He has not cried since you left. Have you gone to a jade factory yet? Remember to get me some!

Love,

Tommy

(Jo-Jo says...)

I would like to get a gumball tomorrow. I want to help get ready for Addie coming home. I want to get her a cat.

Love, Jo-Jo

Ron Smith said...

Britt,

We posted that last comment using your account - I created a new one so we will not get confused.

The boys are a little wild this morning!!!! :-)

Love you both,

Ron

JRAY said...

Bayley.....ehhhh!

Suzanne and I went to the Happy Dragon last night and had some spare ribs so that we could be just like you and Britt!

Stay Safe and have fun! Can't wait to see Addie.

Love the outfit that you were dressed up in.

EAH said...

We felt the same way about Beijing. It's so much fun reading about your experiences when we were JUST there! The stranger in a strange land experience is pretty wild...several Chinese people asked to have their picture taken with me. Our guide said it was my height--the men, particularly, were not shy about staring! David and I were wondering if your guide is David? If so, please say "Hi" from us. We arrived home in Col. Falls this afternoon. Thank you for your great post. We can't wait to read the next one.
D, E, & A

Alicia said...

It's Alicia here...just getting done with another adventure with Tommy...Today we picked a pumpkin, carved it, and baked the seeds with an assortment of spices. Tommy chose salt, cinnamon and sugar, and nutmeg..They were "absolutely delicious" While he was eating supper tonight, Tommy told me that I "had a great understanding of autistic children" and that I should "expand my horizons, maybe even to China"... So who knows, I may see you there!! Hope you are having fun (the pictures look great!) Can't wait to hear from you again!!