Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Journey To Addie's Hometown








Last night little Addie was sick and cried most of the night. At last she threw up, and after that she seemed much better. I am wondering if the formula we brought with us isn't agreeing with her system. We asked our guide to help us get the same brand she was eating at the orphanage, but when we went to the store to get it, we found that all of her kind has been removed from the shelves this week. We do not know the details of the recall, so we are going to stick with what we brought and hope that her system is adjusting. After breakfast we took a van one hour southwest of Nanchang to Fengcheng which is where Addie was born and lived in the orphanage. Now that we are in China we were able to find out the details of her finding. We went to the exact location (The exit of the Fengcheng train station) of where she was found at just one day old. Bayley and I got out of the van with her and walked around. We took pictures of this place and of some buildings in her town so that she may see them if she is curious one day. Clearly her mother picked a spot that was busy with people so that she would be found right away. While walking past the market just outside the train station, Bayley grabbed my hand and said, "I wish there was just some way we could let her birth mother know that she is Ok and will be loved so much." I wish the same.

This afternoon Addie seemed so much better that we ordered the rice that she so loved yesterday. Bayley insists that she eat it with chopsticks to maintain her heritage. We have noticed that Addie gets very scared when we go on outings, and she becomes sullen again, but once back in the hotel room she perks up and enjoys playing. We are glad to see that she finds the hotel room with us to be safe and comforting so that she opens up. We also are finding that her muscle tone improves greatly after she is rested, but the minute she becomes tired the weakness in her legs is especially apparent. And just like most kids, her favorite toy is not a toy at all, but rather the remote.

13 comments:

Auntie Janie said...

Hi Britt, I'm glad you brought formula, give it some time. Last night the CBS evening news had a story about the tainted formula. I went online and looked it up. Sanlu was one type associated with tainted milk. The milk has been tainted with melamine(a product used to make plastics). There are many articles on this. Hang in there and keep us posted. Love ya

Paula Ray said...

Good morning sweet girls. All three of you. Sorry for the upset tummy. Could be a number of things. Stay away from the chinese formula if you can. Much news here about it in the last few days. If Addie can stay hydrated and eat rice and such and slowly try the american formula it may be just a system change over. Glad she is opening up.Hold on for another week and you will be home with her.Love and kisses,Mom and Dad.

JRAY said...

I am so glad you have this blog. I come to school every morning to see picures and read updates. Only a few more days and you will be home again. Suzanne and I are very excited to meet Addie.

The Gang's Momma! said...

The line from Bayley about Addie's birth mom totally got me. Oh, what a great kid Bayley is. I can't help but think what a great mom she is gonna make someday!

I'm so glad for you that you could do the ride to the findng spot. We haven't even been offered, and I'm okay with that now that I have her. Aidan doesn't love the cars or vans and it's more than 2 hours away.

Aidan is fighting something today - woke up slightly feverish and cranky with a runny nose. We're hoping to do the TerraCotta Museum tomorrow but it'll depend on tonite and how she is. Glad Addie is better now. The dress and the play pony are too cute. What a nice gesture from the hotel to provide that.

Sleep well. We're shutting down early tonite here.

Auntie Janie said...

Britt, I was talking this morning with a teacher I work with and his sister adopted a daughter a few years back. She was lactose intolerant and I guess that can be common. He said she used a soy formula. I just want you home here with your doctors. Nana is right keep her hydrated!

Alicia said...

One week down, one to go...She is clearly already taking on the role of a Ray-Smith now if she loves the remote...Her, Jo-Jo, and Tom will definitely have that in common! Maybe they can teach her to love Noggin just as much as they do (well Jo-Jo especially) I am excited to pick Tom up from school today and talk about all of this excitement with him! We have already discussed our preperations that we are going to begin this weekend! I just wanted to leave that poem for you that Tom wrote so that you can read it to Addie and let her know the beauty that awaits her at home through her brother's eyes!
ACADIA: By Tommy Ray-Smith
The cry of gulls fill the air
For everyone to stop & stare
In the rocks there is a crab
That every boy wants to grab
Be careful not to step on the algae
Or else you may fall into the sea
There was a boy who's name is Todd
And he just picked a goldenrod
The waves crash way up high
Like big geysers, into the sky!

Love and miss you all!
-Alicia-

Unknown said...

Hey girls, I totally agree with Jeremy about your blog. The first thing I do every morning when I get to work and turn on my computer is to check out the newest happenings with the Ray-Smith ladies in China! Addie is so adorable. It will be so great to finally have you home so that you can all start the complete family bonding process. See you soon. Love, Mary

NSJ said...

Hi Gals,
I love the new pics....especially the rice one. I'm amazed at the pictures of the place where Addie was left. I want you all home now even more!

What a mess the tainted formula is? I'll bet she'll eventually adjust to what you brought. I'm sure it's very different. You and I both know how tricky the formula juggling is. We could probably write an article about it.

Anyway, be careful. Only one week to go!

Love and miss you!

Nick, Todd, Brynn, & Myah

PS - I love Tommy's poem! I can't wait to show Todd about the goldenrod! : )

Carol said...

how great you went to her finding spot. We couldn't go during our trip...guide said it was many hours away. I will definetly take my daughter back there one day if she wants to go....she was moved to a different orphanage and that is the reason for the distance....

Dawn Fickett said...

Brittany,
I can never read the blogs without getting all teared up. Your journey to Addie has touched so many hearts! A week can seem like forever, but it will go by so fast...you'll be surprised! It is so amazing that we have the technology we do today so that you can at least stay connected to family and friends back here. Hang in there. I'm sure Addie will adjust to all the changes in no time. She has the most important thing...and that is a family!
Love, Dawn

Charlie said...

Hi Bailey and Brittany, Addie is so fortunate to with two wonderful people with her. You are both my heroes. We are all thinking of you and your journey.

LOL,
Charlie

Linny said...

Britt, Bayley, and Addie
I love reading this blog and I can't wait to meet Addie. She is going to love her family, and apparently fit right in! Have a safe remainder of the trip, hope to see you soon.
-Linny

Sarah said...

So glad that your were able to visit your baby's finding spot. She is just precious.
Blessings,
Sarah